Tuesday, September 7, 2010

7th Sept 2010

Acts 9:32-43 – Aeneas and Dorcas
  • “A Key to Powerful Prayer”.
  • There are no FYI’s in the Bible.
  • Every detail has significance, it is telling us something. The Holy Spirit, inspiring the author, has left clues in these little seemingly insignificant details.
  • These clues are often overlooked. They are subtle and yet profound.
  • It is one of these little details that can perhaps teach us more about prayer than anything else in this passage apart from the fact that the miracles being done are in Jesus’ name.
  • Peter first heals Aeneas whose is named after a Trojan Hero in Greek and Roman mythology.
  • Then he is asked to come to where Dorcas’ dead body is lying. Upon arrival he hears of this woman’s good deeds. Those she has blessed present their clothes to him to demonstrate to him how kind she was. It is almost as if they are trying to convince him to pray for her, pleading her case to him. “She deserves your prayers” they seem to be saying.
  • Then Peter, learning from Jesus’ example in Mt. 9:25, gets rid of the crowds.
  • He then gets down on His knees and begins to pray.
  • Then it happens – a little clue is dropped… “Turning towards the dead woman…”
  • What is significant about this statement?
  • Just this; he must have been praying turned away from the woman.
  • When I pray for someone, I’m usually turned towards them, but Peter was not.
  • Why?
  • In those days it was not customary for people to close their eyes when praying as it is now. And so it seems Peter did not want to look at the dead body while summoning up the faith to pray for a miracle.
  • Instead, after He has spiritually prepared himself, he suddenly turns towards Dorcas and rather than praying, issues a command.
  • ‘Tabitha get up’.
  • I can learn a lot from this.
  • When needing a miracle; I must not concentrate on the problem of mine. Instead I must concentrate on the power of God.
  • I must not feed my doubt; I must feed my expectation.
  • I must not listen to, look at, and meditate upon what needs to change. Instead I must listen to, look at and meditate upon God.
  • If I am wiser in my prayer life; perhaps I will find that I pray less and command more.
  • Praying today for wisdom in my prayer.

1 comment:

  1. One of the other things thats there if you look is the meaning of Aeneas name is "to Praise." Paul maybe saying that we are to bring praise frst before we focus on the situations before us maybe, that "to praise" will help increase our faith for the challenges ahead?

    ReplyDelete