Thursday, September 30, 2010

30th Sept 2010

Acts 15:36-41– Disagreement between Paul and Barnabas.
  • “Who should you take on your journey with you?”
  • My Pastor used to say that the thing he loved about the Bible was that it showed its hero’s ‘warts and all’ – in other words it never photoshop’s its great characters.
  • Here two great leaders disagree – enough to have to go there separate ways.
  • Later on they were reconciled and used - at Paul’s imprisonment (Col 4, Philippians 2) sent for him in 2 Tim 4:11).
  • This passage makes me ask; who should I take on the journey with me?
  • Whether it is choosing a colleague or a spouse, a church family or a friend, it is a very important question as it will significantly influence every step I take.
  • This passage makes me reflect on the four principles I use when choosing someone to work with me but also subconsciously I think they were definitely in my mind when I proposed to my wife.
  • They are partly based on three things from a Bill Hybels book but with added twists.
    • 1. Character: Kind of obvious. Character the Bible says brings hope; why? Because people of character fulfill what they say they will do. I’ve never met anyone more reliable than Lynn.
    • 2. Commitment: But not any kind of commitment. Commitment to the whole thing not just their thing. Not like the worship leader who works with youth because it gives him a chance to do the thing he loves but the worship leader who does it because he is committed to the whole vision of reaching youth, on stage or off. Lynn and I are committed to the same bigger picture.
    • 3. Chemistry: I’m in this for the long haul; if I don’t enjoy the people I journey with I may be tempted to get off the road. So I would rather train someone I get on with really well than hire a skilled person who does not really fit but takes less effort. I love for instance working with Lynn; she’s foxy!
    • 4. Competence: Not necessary someone who is immediately competent but someone who is committed to becoming competent. Someone who loves enough to keep on trying and keep on learning. This is important in work, friendship and marriage. If you’ve never tasted Lynn’s roasted spuds you’ve never tasted the kingdom of heaven.
  • BUT: here is my challenge: do I display the things I look for in others?
  • AND here’s my question: would Paul have took me?
  • Praying to be who I want to be with.

No comments:

Post a Comment