Tuesday, September 21, 2010

21th Sept 2010

Acts 14:1-7 – In Iconium
  • “History Repeats”
  • My brain just got hijacked.
  • A small side note I just read took me on a totally different track and now I am wrestling with a new idea about how our vision is defined somewhat by our gifts.
  • What if it is not the way we traditionally see it.
  • What if our strongest gift is not simply a hint of what our vision is?
  • Feel like I just had a bit of a blinding light and can’t understand why it did not hit me before.
  • Got an alternative to the traditional; fill in the sheet to find your gifting idea.
  • Will probably spend much of the day thinking about that.
  • Back to the passage though, simply put;
  • History repeats.
  • The author is revealing to us a pattern in Paul’s ministry. Almost the exact thing that happened in yesterday’s reading, happens again in today’s story.
  • The missional strategy that Jesus passed on to His disciples carries on.
  • I think I will leave that there. I need to think about this other thing that is rattling around my head.
  • Praying today for clear revelation.

3 comments:

  1. Just started reading Max Lucado's 'Cure for the Common Life' which has bearings on the point about our strongest gifts not simply being a hint about our vision. Maybe worth a read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in your thoughts on defining or discovering holy spirit gifts. I was just looking at a "fill in the blank" handout on HS gifting and thought to myself, "is this how early believers figured out their holy spirit gifts, they couldn't even read" and where did we get the assumption that our strengths, or what we like, is closely aligned with the gift the holy spirit gave us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say Carl, I agree.

    I'm not convinced the handouts are a good thing at all.

    It also depends on which spiritual gifts we mean..
    some Handouts MAY help in one or two gifts but not for the majority.

    ReplyDelete