Wednesday, September 1, 2010

1st Sept 2010

Acts 8:26-40 – Philip and the Ethiopian
  • “How to attract God’s Attention”.
  • This seems like a random story and I guess it is used by the writer to show the kind of things God was doing around that time – and of course is still doing today.
  • How amazing to have God send someone to you in order to clearly help you understand.
  • The Eunuch was an important official who served Royalty - a Queen [or Queen Mother] - Candice was a title not a name; similar to Caesar or Pharaoh.
  • The Eunuch was essentially on his way home from church. Yet God did not speak to him at church but 50 miles away.
  • I remember hearing a preacher once say; “I don’t pray for an hour in the morning so that God will speak to me within that hour. I pray for an hour in the morning so that God can speak to my while I am eating a pizza in the evening”.
  • Our spiritual disciplines should not act as a control but as a catalyst.
  • Prayer, fasting, worship etc are not to be sections in our lives that provide God with a window of opportunity to speak to us.
  • They are to be a springboard in our lives to help us be aware of his constant presence.
  • The Eunuch did not restrict his worship to church – he had not simply done his duty. He was seeking God in and out of church.
  • Reading aloud was customary but gave Phillip a chance to connect with him and then connect him to Jesus.
  • What can we learn from the Eunuch about attracting God’s input?
    • Don’t do your duty and expect God to do His.
    • Do see Spiritual disciplines as a springboard to life not as a section in it.
    • Do reach out to God constantly giving God a constant chance to connect.
  • Praying today that I will practice what I reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment