Friday, February 4, 2011

4th Feb 2011

John 6:16-24 – Jesus walks on water..
  • “Funny what you miss”
  • Oddly – I have very little that occurs to me about this passage.
  • The thing I most noticed is what I have previously missed.
  • There are two miracles it seems in this passage.
  • Jesus walks on water.
  • Then the boat immediately arrives at its destination.
  • I had never noticed this second thing until today.
  • I suppose there is even a simply lesson here.
  • Sometimes God’s miracles outshine the others so we don’t even notice them.
  • We notice the miracle that frightened the disciples but the one that actually helped them and kept them safe we don’t notice.
  • It’s a bit like the difference between these two scenarios.
    1. A Plane loses two engines, the pilot tells the passengers. They panic, pray, scream and when he lands the plane safely heap all kinds of praise on him.
    2. A Plane loses two engines, the pilot does not tell the passengers. So no-one panics, no-one prays, no-one screams and no-one says anything as they get off the plane.
    • The passengers were in equal danger and yet their praise and admiration for their pilot was completely affected by what they did or did not notice.
  • Funny what I miss.
  • I expect I only see the very dramatic and only thank God for the recues from the dangers I see myself in. I wonder how often he rescues me and I never notice.
  • Something for me to think about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment