Thursday, February 10, 2011

10th Feb 2011


John 7:1-13 – Jesus goes to the festival of tabernacles.
  • “Does perfection take advise?”
  • I’m a bit frustrated by this passage today.
  • There is apparently a textual question where it reports that Jesus says; “I am not going up”.
  • The preferred reading is oukI am not going up
  • Some manuscripts have oupoI am not going yet
  • Another says that the tense of the word ouk can mean – I am not going at present
  • The main problem that has led to this questioning of Jesus’ meaning is because shortly after saying He would not go… He did.
  • My personal belief after reading the arguments is that the first word is correct. The main word used ouk meaning “I am not going”.
  • The reason is because of the context and what happens in tomorrows passage.
  • I think Jesus perhaps initially intended to stay away but after advice decided to go.
  • I really could be wrong here though.
  • I just struggle with my initial denial of this. I could not believe that Jesus was swayed by his brothers.
  • But then I am wondering; can Jesus not take advice? Does being without sin mean you know exactly what to do every moment. The Holy Spirit led Jesus biut sometimes he needed to go and pray before making major decisions. Maybe He also needed to take advise from time to time?
  • Like I say – I could be wrong.
  • But for me at least – a leader who never takes advice is actually less than perfect.
  • Anyway… something to think about for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment