Monday, January 3, 2011

3rd Jan 2011

John 1:1-18 – The word became Flesh
  • “First things first”
  • This passage contains one of my favorite verses to preach from.
  • In fact I spoke on it yesterday at Oak Hills Church, San Antonio.
    • “He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him”
  • Jesus is the word [gk Logos] Logos means reason. It is the thing that makes sense of things and separates good from bad, right from wrong.
  • Although God has also given us the gift of reasoning; our reasoning is not as good as Gods.
  • If God’s reasoning exploded the world into being, then our reasoning is simply shrapnel.
  • Gods reasoning comes first.
  • He is who He is not who we try to make Him after the fact..
  • The reason we miss God in our lives is not because we do not know what God looks like but because we have decided in advance what He looks like.
  • We have decided in advance what a move of God in our lives will look like and if God moves in any other kind of way we automatically dismiss it.
  • The author John quotes John the Baptist who has not missed God; even though Jesus is his cousin, he can see who Jesus really is because he has understood a profound truth stated in verse 15;
    • “He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.”
  • John is responding to the ancient belief that the older person has more authority, wisdom and therefore should be given more respect and regard.
  • But he argues: Although I was born before Jesus, he was created in the beginning. He is therefore older than me and is wiser and deserves the higher regard.
  • Johns the Baptists’ wisdom came to him because he put first things first!
    • God created him in his image not visa versa.
    • God’s reason came first and is higher than our reason.
    • God has already moved in our lives we are not waiting for Him to move.
  • I cannot decide how God is going to move; He already has.
  • I don’t get to decide; I get to discover.
  • I don’t get to dictate; I get to discern.
  • For anyone concerned that they might miss out on God this new year I might suggest this little exercise:
    • Write out how you imagine and expect God to move in your life this year. Then repent and rip it up.
    •  That simple exercise will do two things; first show you how much you might be dictating to God and secondly be a defining moment helping you to see God move where you least expect it.
  • Praying today that I will put first things first and my reasoning second.

No comments:

Post a Comment