Wednesday, January 26, 2011

26th Jan 2011

John 4:39-42 – Many Samaritans Believe
  • “It’s not Who you expect or How you expect”
  • As was His Modus operandi, Jesus goes into the village because He is pursued.
  • He stays for two days and speaks to the people.
  • They tell Him that they first believed because of the words of the Samaritan woman but now know because of their own experience of Him.
  • What is interesting to me in this passage is the line;
    • And because of His words many more became believers”
  • This is interesting to me.
  • There is no mention of miracles.
  • There is no mention of Him performing any signs.
  • Where in Jerusalem that is exactly what the religious leaders said they needed in order to believe; here with the very people the religious elite looked down upon, they were not necessary.
  • Firstly this reminds me that it is not who you expect who will respond.
    • I have expected certain people to follow, join, give, support and encourage.
    • But often I have been disappointed by them only to be surprised by just who has followed, joined, given, supported and encouraged me.
    • So the mistake we make is investing our time because of assumptions. Jesus it seemed waited to see who really was pursuing Him. Who was willing to pay a price [in this case the price of hospitality]. Not only was it perhaps surprising that it was the Samaritans but it was courageous because of the enmity between the two groups.
  • Secondly, maybe there was a sign.
    • Maybe the sign was that Jesus, a Jewish Rabbi would go into that town.
    • Maybe that courage and compassion was all they needed.
    • It gave more credibility to His words that a miracle or supernatural stunt.
    • As a leader I need to remember that.
  • It may not be who I expect to respond and they may not respond for the reasons I expect.
  • I need to be open-minded and open-hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment