Tuesday, November 30, 2010

30th Nov 2010

Acts 25:13-22 – Paul’s Trial before Festus
  • “A Simple Thought on Gaining Wisdom”
  • King Agrippa and Bernice arrived at Caesarea to pay their respects to Festus.
  • Festus then asks Agrippa to help him in this perplexing if not pressing problem of Paul.
  • I would not have.
  • Getting advice is a worthy thing but I would always get advice from people who have experience or been successful in a particular area.
  • Festus was messing with things he did not understand and Agrippa and Bernice were not exactly highly regarded in matters of religion and moral duty. They were having an incestuous relationship and had turned their back on their Jewish faith.
  • For me wisdom starts with the wise decision of the right wise people to approach.
  • I have certain people to advise me on certain specific areas. No-one knows everything about everything! No-one has all the answers. Wisdom comes in community.
  • And sometimes it is those we don't get on with so well that have the best wisdom in a certain area.
  • There are some I would ask for advice on Bible study but not on fatherhood [and visa versa]
  • There are some I would ask for advice on financial issues but not pastoral insight [and visa versa].
  • I look for a proven track record in that area.
  • What possible led Festus into asking Agrippa’s advice was the opportunity to suck up to the King.
  • Asking advice is serious business I should choose who I ask for the correct reasons not immoral or self-prorogating ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment