Tuesday, June 29, 2010

29th June 2010

Acts 1:1-11 – Jesus Taken up to Heaven
  • Even after Jesus dies and is resurrected most of His disciples still don’t get it.
  • They still ask the same question they were asking before:
    • “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?"
  • It’s getting boring!
  • Luke is writing Acts to us and Theophilus [his name means ‘friend of God’], to help us understand the real motive of Jesus.
  • He hints at this in the first sentence with the word ‘began’. What many Christians see as the completion of Jesus’ ministry – the cross, was just an important part of a process. It was almost a stage in the journey.
  • The story of Acts now shows me how Jesus continues to “do and teach” His stuff through His Spirit rather than one physical human body.
  • I must keep reminding myself that the cross and my ‘day of salvation’ were a stage. A moment along the way.
  • Important and in fact, vital but only in the same way as I cannot walk without putting one leg out and then following it with the other. If I don’t put that first leg out I cannot walk but walking is not achieved by putting just one leg out.
  • I must not turn my Christianity into a Monty Python sketch. Funny but absurd.
  • I’m praying the book of Acts will help me avoid ever doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment