Thursday, June 17, 2010

17th June 2010

Mark 15: 16-20 – The Soldiers Mock Jesus
  • There are certain things that Jesus could have organized Himself to fulfill the prophecies about the Messiah but there are others He could not.
    1. Prophecy fulfillment He could organize
    2. Prophecy fulfillment He could not organize
    3. Prophecy fulfillment that could only be seen after it happened.
  • For examples of number 2; see Psalm 22:15-18 written several hundred years earlier
  • My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death. Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet. I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.
·         For an explanation of number 3; note one writers insight:
·         God spoke to the Israelites in shadows so that no man could try to “game” the prophecy and make himself Messiah
·         There are many things that the Messiah did, provoked or happened to Him that only made sense after the fact.
·         I need to remember that some things God does in my life will only make sense after the event and importantly; I need to remember some of the cases in my life when that is true as I enter a new thing that is not making sense.
·         The past ‘shadows’ will make sense of the new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment