Monday, June 14, 2010

14th June 2010

Mark 15:1-5 – Jesus before Pilate.
§ This is the story of what happened when a panicky Pilate met a peaceful Jesus.
§ Jesus knew His identity but Pilate did not.
1.    For Jesus: Identity, like a triangle, has three corners: John 13:3 - “Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God”
2.    For Pilate: Pilate’s power, in his mind, came from His position, the people & Emperor. [His name probably connected with the Roman family of the Pontii, and called “Pilate” from the Latin pileatus, i.e., “wearing the pileus”, which was the “cap or badge of a manumitted [freed] slave,” as indicating that he was a “freedman,” or the descendant of one.
§ This crisis in Pilates identity and Jesus assurance of His became obvious in three distinct areas:
1.    Pilate had to prove himself. Jesus did not.
2.    Pilate pulled others down. Jesus pulled others up
3.    Pilate feared decisions. Jesus pursued them.
§ What about me? How does my understand of my identity show itself?
1.    Do I fully believe God is my source of power?
2.    Do I fully believe He created me?
3.    Do I fully believe I will go to be with Him one day?
§ Do I panic or do i have peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment