Wednesday, May 26, 2010

18th May 2010

Mark 12:35-41 – Whose Son is the Christ.
  • Jesus starts off by posing a theological question.
  • He quotes Psalm 110 – the most quoted part of the OT in the NT. All of Psalm 110 is considered Messianic.
  • He is not ridiculing so much as opening people’s minds to a different possibility.
  • How can the Messiah by the Son of David if David calls Him Lord? Obviously there is something going on that the teachers of the law do not understand.
  • The teachers of the law were part of the Sanhedrin.
  • Jesus had obvious issues with them for obvious reasons.
  • Here Jesus is playing the classical role of a prophet when the priests are no longer leading the people correctly.
  • I am a teacher and must be very careful that I do not use my role to rob or impress people. I must direct my heart to God not to men.

No comments:

Post a Comment