Wednesday, August 25, 2010

25th August 2010

Acts 6:8-15 – Stephen Seized.
  • “The Devil is in the Details”.
  • The Kingdom of God begins to get unpacked
  • First of all this passage tells us that Stephen did great wonders and miraculous signs. 
  • Well on earth who told him he could do that? He had been commissioned; it seemed, just to ‘wait on tables’.
  • Yet here he is reproducing what the Apostles were doing.
  • The Apostles had not simply passed on a system of Christianity; they had passed on its Spirit; a far more powerful and world changing commodity!
  • I have had to stop here because I’ve spend an hour reading some ancient Jewish texts that prophecy how the Messiah will change the customs of Moses [the Torah] without actually changing it. The things I have read are so fascinating that i cannot concentrate on anything else but the things running through my mind are not concise enough to write in my journal yet.
  • I am fascinated by how there were expectations within Judaism of a New Torah latent within the existing one. Plus how the messiah would reveal this ‘latent’ [my word] Torah. It is organic.
  • To summarise – the devil attacks Stephen by accusing him of saying that Jesus will change the customs that Moses handed down to them. Although in Spirit this is untrue there is a grain of truth in what they say.
  • Beyond spending a lot more time looking into the background material I have read today, I need to pray for awareness of how the enemy will plot against me.
  • He takes small grains of truth and then completely twists their details.
  • The devil is indeed in the detail – his title does not mean ‘the tempter’ but ‘the accuser’. This is his primary tactic – and to defend myself and others I need to know the Word of God more completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment