Monday, August 23, 2010

23rd August 2010

Acts 5:17-42 – The Apostles persecuted.
  • “Insecurity makes our decisions insecure”
  • Here again we see how information we receive is significantly affected by the motive of our heart
  • Firstly the Sadducees who during the reign of King Agrippa held all but three of the positions in the Sanhedrin were jealous.
    • What was happening did not fit either their theology or they politics.
    • This message the Apostles were speaking about promoted the resurrection – something the Sadducees did not believe in.
    • The message promoted a new King; something that would threaten their cozy relationship with the Romans.
  • On the other hand was Gamaliel.
    • Rabban Gamaliel the Elder had huge credibility.
    • He was the first to receive the title Rabban instead of Rabbi meaning ‘my master, my great one’. Rabban means ‘our master, our great one.'
    • He was the grandson of Hillel [some of who’s 7 laws of exegesis Jesus used].
    • It was said of Gamaliel by his peers that; When Rabban Gamaliel the elder died, the glory of the Torah came to an end; and purity and holiness came to an end. [Misha Sotah 9:15].
  • Gamaliel whose heart was less motivated by politics and perhaps less cluttered by the need to his protect theological viewpoint; was much more secure.
  • He tells all that if this is not of God it will go away; if it is of God it is best not to fight it.
  • Fighting this movement would mean fighting God.
  • How many leaders have found themselves in a juxtaposition with the Holy Spirit because of their own insecurities. Scared they may be wrong, they therefore are not able to trust God to fight His own battles.
  • My insecurity means I will make poor decisions about the things that happen around me and I will be unable to stand upon them for long.
  • As a leader of myself and others I need to pray today for a security in God that allows me to make right choices.

2 comments:

  1. I must say this is absolutely true. The wisdom shown my gammilial (?) is something to aspire to achieve. Amazing thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,

    What a timely word! Couldn't have come at a better time seeing as I'm in the valley of decision. Bless you Sir and the work you do for our Father.

    ReplyDelete