Friday, December 3, 2010

3rd Dec 2010

Acts 27:13-26 – The Storm
  • “What Leaders do in a Crisis”
  • The inevitable storm hits.
  • After days of trying everything they can and every sailing technique of the time to rescue their ship they finally give up hope.
  • At that point, Paul the Spiritual leader not the captain the ship’s leader, gets up and gives some direction.
  • Paul’s actions here remind me of things I teach that leaders do in a crisis;
    1. They Stand up and are seen.
    2. They adopt juxtaposition: they paint the bad realistic picture but then offer hope.
    3. They stick to the facts and don’t guess why.
    4. They relate what is happening to the bigger story.
      • "This is not the end; it is not even the beginning of the end, though it is perhaps the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill
    5. They link the ordinary to the extraordinary
    6. They make the target the development of those involved.
    7. They never hide their conviction.
  • These seven traits that I have learnt over the years have served me well. I may not be the best leader in the world but I have seen many a crisis. And I have survived and grown through every one.
  • I hope those travelling with me have done the same.
  • Plus…last time I travelled through a huge storm someone gave me $50,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment